Bioidentical Hormone Therapy for Menopause
Los Angeles Menopause Specialist, Joseph Sciabbarrasi, M.D., has over twenty-five years of experience in treating women with Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy. Menopause Specialist, Dr. Sciabbarrasi is an alternative medicine practitioner offering cutting edge Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapies to the women of Los Angeles, CA and surrounding greater LA metro area. He is a leader in the field of Integrative Medicine in Los Angeles and has been widely praised by physicians and patients alike. His medical skills, insight and compassion are equaled by his versatility and experience using naturopathic, eastern, and western medicine. His expertise is in creating highly personalized and effective programs for healing and optimal health with extraordinary skillfulness, sensitivity and perception.
Many women can become disconcerted by menopause and the symptoms and effects that their waning hormones have on their bodies, their minds and their psychological wellbeing. Oftentimes they feel as though this is the natural aging process and that they must just endure the symptoms and discomfort that this time in life can bring. But this is not the case! Many women have found total relief from the menopausal symptoms that have begun to affect their lives as they age.
Aging is a natural part of our life. From the time we are born the aging process becomes our journey through life. Many of the changes that come with aging can be welcomed and embraced. The knowledge and wisdom gained, the heightened calmness of spirit and the comfort that comes with knowing oneself are some of the desirable symptoms of aging. However other, less desirable, symptoms can be more difficult to navigate. Hormonal changes over time are natural but can often be trying. Most people don’t feel the full effects of declining hormones until they are closer to middle age although the decline typically starts in the 30’s. In middle age declining hormones can have a large impact on the way we feel, both physically and emotionally, and on the way we experience our journey. If you understand what’s happening in your body during this time of transition, and know how to manage it, both men and women can make the transition more comfortably. Menopause Hormone Replacement Therapy can help you get a clear picture of your health and make a plan for total hormonal wellness.
Women are typically a bit more in tune with their bodies’ hormonal fluctuations than men due to their monthly menstrual cycle and may be quicker to ascertain that hormonal imbalance may be the cause of some of their discomfort. Women may complain of mood swings, weight gain, hot flashes, night sweats, loss of muscle tone, a lowered sex drive and even painful intercourse due to lack of lubrication.
The discomfort of these symptoms, for both men and women, can impact the quality of their day to day life. Hormonal balance and wellbeing can help to alleviate these symptoms.
- What are the goals of Bioidentical Hormones
- Alleviate symptoms caused by the natural decrease in hormone production in the body
- Reestablish the individual’s hormonal balance
- Provide protective benefits that were originally provided by the body’s naturally occurring hormones
- What are the benefits of BHRT?
- BHRT offers a number of health-related benefits:
- What are the benefits of Bioidentical Hormones?
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy offers a number of health-related benefits:
- Helps in the prevention of Osteoporosis and restoration of bone strength
- Protection against heart disease and stroke
- Reduced hot flashes and reduced vaginal dryness
- Muscle mass and strength are better maintained
- Improvement in cholesterol levels
- Risk of depression reduced
- Reduced risk of breast and endometrial cancer
- Improved libido
- Prevention of senility and Alzheimer’s Disease
- Improved sleep
- Mood, concentration, and memory become better
- Far fewer unwanted effects than synthetic hormones
Regardless of your age, gender, or specific symptoms, you can find relief with Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT). BHRT doctors can help you to make a plan for your total hormonal wellness.
- Synthetic Hormone Therapy vs. Natural Hormone Therapy
Traditional Hormone Replacement Therapy
Hormones affect many functions of the human body and are so interrelated that it may be difficult to determine the specific cause of one symptom or another. Due to this, doctors many times isolate these symptoms and treat each symptom individually, prescribing one medicine for insomnia, another for headaches, etc. This is a result of treating a symptom rather than exploring the root cause of the discomfort. It becomes increasingly frustrating for the patient. Had the doctor made the connection between the many symptoms and hormonal imbalance many of these symptoms could be treated as a single cause and not individually.
After realizing that hormones may address these multiple symptoms some doctors may suggest synthetic hormone replacement therapy after other treatments fail to bring relief. Synthetic hormones are generally given in pill form to be taken orally.
However, synthetic hormones are associated with several serious health conditions, including endometrial cancers, blood clots, heart attack, abnormal liver function, and pancreatitis. Additionally, they generally take longer for the body to accept and process. In the human body, estradiol and progesterone are released directly into the bloodstream, whereas when the hormones are given by mouth, they must first pass through the liver, where a large amount of hormone in rendered inactive.
While the above complications are uncommon, many people do experience common side effects like nausea and muscle cramping. These can be bothersome enough for them to stop taking the synthetic hormones or prescription pills their doctors have given them.
How Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy is Different
The first major difference between Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy and synthetic hormones is that Bioidentical Hormones are created from natural plant based extracts. The natural hormones in these plants remain unchanged during the compounding process because they are nearly identical to the natural hormonal structure that exists in the human body. For most people on Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy, the similar cellular structure means that the compound is metabolized by their body faster and easier. With their hormones in balance, men and women in their 30’s, 40’s, and beyond are able to enjoy renewed energy, better health, and a more positive outlook on life.
Due to the natural interactions of Bioidentical Hormones and the body, patients are able to experience prolonged symptom relief without the risk of further complications or any undesirable side effects.
Traditional hormone replacement therapy utilizes synthetic hormones to attempt to replace what your body has lost due to menopause. This typically involves only estrogen, although some doctors use a combination of estrogen and progesterone.
- Hormones Used in Natural Hormone Therapy
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy specialists, on the other hand, use a combination of six different bioidentical hormones. These include:
- Estrone: This is a weaker form of estrogen, but it has a major effect on the accumulation of belly fat. Many women who are struggling with stubborn fat stores lose weight easier after receiving estrone as part of a Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy.
- Estriol: Your liver produces this form of estrogen. The lack of it can cause problems with dry skin and urinary tract infections.
- Estradiol: This is the major form of estrogen produced by your ovaries, which means that the lack of it causes the majority of troublesome symptoms.
- Progesterone: Your body naturally releases progesterone in the second half of your menstrual cycle. It is also responsible for helping to sustain a pregnancy. Once you are beyond your childbearing years, having too little progesterone can result in heavy bleeding, irregular bleeding, and polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Testosterone: Although primarily a male hormone, testosterone is present in smaller amounts in women. Lack of testosterone balance affects energy levels, sexual desire, and the overall sense of well-being.
- Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA): This hormone is produced by the brain and helps to create sex hormones in both genders. Balancing the level of DHEA in your body helps fight depression, obesity, and osteoporosis.
Restoration of hormonal balances can bring great relief and better health can equal a better life.
- Specific Health Conditions with Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy Treatment
Specific Health Conditions with Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy Treatment
In addition to the relief of general symptoms associated with hormone decline, many holistic medical practitioners prescribe Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy to treat a variety of conditions that can ultimately related to a hormone imbalance, dominance or deficiency. These include:
- Adrenal fatigue: When your adrenal glands are working properly, they allow you to effectively manage the various stressors in your life and help build your immunity to common illnesses. However, high levels of stress, a poor diet, and other lifestyle factors can cause an imbalance that leads to chronically feeling fatigued. Optimized hormones allow the adrenal glands to function at peak efficiency and have been shown to reduce and even reverse the effects of adrenal fatigue in both men and women.
- Fibromyalgia: This chronic condition, which happens when the brain receives faulty nerve signals, causes insomnia, fatigue, muscle pain, problems with concentration, irritable bowel syndrome, and decreased immunity to other illnesses. While the causes and specifics of fibromyalgia are still the subject of much speculation and study in the medical community, Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy Experts agree that optimizing hormones with Bioidentical Hormone Therapy can greatly reduce the symptoms of fibromyalgia.
- Thyroid disorders: The thyroid is located in your neck and controls every cell in your body. People experience many problems when it is underactive or overactive( ‘hypo’ or ‘hyper’), including unplanned weight gain or loss, digestion issues, consistently feeling too hot or too cold, heart and liver function issues, high cholesterol, and decreased blood flow that can lead to anemia. Thyroid dysfunction can also affect one’s mental health as symptoms from an imbalance in the thyroid can mimic mental illness and cause stress, anxiety, depression, loss of interest and memory loss. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy has been found exceptionally effective at helping the body to find and maintain proper thyroid hormone balance.